Want to read Flickering Light from the beginning? Click here!

Friday, March 9, 2012

An Unusual Request

The following is a transcript of a visit between Lucas [REMOVED] and Dr. Brian Child at Gold County Jail. Dr. Child will be represented by INM ("inmate") and Lucas will be denoted by VSTR ("visitor"). The conversation took place on telephones typically used for chats between inmates and visitors, was recorded, and was stored in the jail's database.

INM: Ah, hello, my boy Lucas. Why are you here?

VSTR: I wanted to know why you did that.

INM: Why I did what?

VSTR: You know what. The shocks and that gun.

INM: I didn't want to hurt you, Lu-

VSTR: [loud bang, presumable slamming fist on table] Then why'd you do it?!

INM: [pause] For those who were in the class.

VSTR: What?

INM: What I did was a test for them, to see if they would stand up against authority.

VSTR: What do you mean? I don't get it.

INM: They're about to be in danger, one that myself and my colleagues have seen coming.

VSTR: I'm not stupid, okay? What are you talking about?

INM: Listen to me, Lucas! These students don't understand what's going on. The faculty of the university is planning something.

VSTR: Oh yeah? What?

INM: I don't know just yet, but I have overheard some of my fellow professors that were discussing many changes in administration, that so much was happening so quickly. People were getting fired for almost no reason, and replacements found within days. That doesn't happen in any normal school.

VSTR: So just 'cause a bunch of people got fired, you think something bad is gonna happen?

INM: In a sense, yes. Considering who got replaced, and meeting the replacements, there is something definitely wrong. They started bringing up ideas of conformity and compliance from the students.

VSTR: But I don't really care about them. What's this got to do with me?

INM: You recall that nobody stepped in to help you?

VSTR: Uh…yeah

INM: They didn't want to stand up to authority, which is what I represented. If that seed of speaking out gets planted, then the students may be able to resist what it is that the university is planning.

VSTR: I don't get it.

INM: If they can't stand up to me when I am doing horrible things, they can't stand up to any of the rest of the university if the same things happen.

VSTR: But you put a gun to my head, man!

INM: [sighs] The gun was not loaded.

VSTR: But…why…

INM: To get my point across! Do you see now?

VSTR: But the electric stuff…

INM: Listen, I hated myself for doing it. But those college kids needed to understand that people with authority are not always right.

VSTR: Then I was just…

INM: I am sorry for what I put you through, my child. I was never going to kill you, or anything of the sort.

VSTR: [uneven breathing]

INM: Who are you with now?

VSTR: I dunno, the police gave me to this couple not that far away, and-

INM: Did they pick you themselves, or did someone else give you to them?

VSTR: The police and the school did most of the stuff that-

INM: Lucas, did the school choose your foster parents?

VSTR: Yeah, but I don't-

INM: You must leave them, okay?

VSTR: Wait, why do I have to-?

INM: You cannot trust the university either.

VSTR: But where would I go? I've been living on the streets forever and they're so nice to me.

INM: Do you remember the faces of anybody in my class?

VSTR: No…not really, I mean, I think so?

INM: Look for them. Find one of them, and beg and plead to stay with them.

VSTR: But what about my foster parents?

INM: They'll look for you, of course. However, they are likely people to make sure you're under watch and don't want you reminding university students of what happened in my class. They need that reminder, Lucas.

VSTR: I don't know…

INM: Ask to go to the university, and see what your parents say. If they say no, then they don't want you there. Keep pressing them, make up whatever you can to say that you want to visit. If they keep saying no, then you must go there yourself. Do you know the way?

VSTR: Yeah, it's not that far.

INM: Good, good.

VSTR: But why should I trust you?

INM: [long pause, sigh] Because, Lucas, I have nothing left to lose. The university will ensure that I will not have any reasonable credit to my name, I am going to have no money left because of lawyers for my case, and I will not be able to hold a decent job ever again. I also stand to gain nothing from these events, either. I only want these students to be safe. Do you understand?

VSTR: [silence]

INM: Do you?

[END TRANSCRIPT]

Note: I "obtained" this through means in which I'd rather not say. Just know that the jail doesn't have the most secure network out there. It's understandable though, considering the budget cuts of the last few years and that they just implemented the recording system. --JS

No comments:

Post a Comment